KNITTERS-DELIGHT



4:27 PM

FO - Vogue 8604 Skirt



I have completed another FO....finally! This was a long time in the making. I started it weeks ago, but put it down in order to start adding items to my new etsy show. Add having a 4-month old and a full-time job and this skirt fell by the wayside. The fact that Me-Made-March is going on should have been my motivation to make new items, but that was not the case I'm afraid. I've only managed to complete four items this month. That's not horrible, but not great either.

Here's my review:

Description:
Vogue 8604 - MISSES' JACKET, SKIRT AND PANTS: Jacket A is cropped, lined to edge and has back darts, kimono sleeves and collar. Slim skirt B extends above waist and has front and back darts, back zipper and back slit, length is below mid-calf. Pants C extends above waist and has front and back darts, front pleats, back zipper and side seam pockets. Purchased belt and tops. I made the slim skirt.

Pattern Sizing:
I used the size 16 but find it is a tad bit snug in places. Of course, I still have 20-some odd pounds left from having a baby, so I think the size may be fine. Ahem. According to the chart, I should have made the 18 or 20.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes! Although my checkered material is pretty stiff, so that is having a slight affect on the style.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, very straightforward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Not much to dislike. It is still current and flattering on a multitude of shapes. There was minimal pieces, including the facings.

Fabric Used:
A woven polyester blend fabric that is a bit stiff. There was a fair amount of bumps and wrinkles after a full day at work (shown in my pics). I think a fabric with a bit more drape would work better.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I followed other PR reviewers' suggestions and added boning. I added mine to the facings at the side seams and front and back darts). This is helping to keep the shaping as well as keep the high-waist style in place as it should be. (There is a great article from Threads that covers boning...)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes. I think I will try this one in a different fabric. It is very work appropriate! I will also make the pants and jacket.

Conclusion:
I saw positive reviews for the pants and jacket on PR and thought I'd try the skirt first. Overall, this entire pattern looks like a winner.



In other projects, I am casting on for a new shawl - Hitchhiker. Thank you Brandilion for treating me to such a sweet surprise! I saw that she was knitting this on her blogpost today and commented. Well, I checked Ravelry later in the day and there it was, a gift pattern purchase from my old roommie. I purchased some wool sock yarn at Michael's at lunch (after going to feed little girl of course *smile*) and will cast on tonight! I'm soooo excited.

7 comments:

Jada said...

Very cute skirt! :)

Thriftanista in the City said...

I'm jealous you can get ANY sewing in! Cute skirt.

Lori said...

Great looking skirt.

Karin said...

You made one of those "midi length" skirts I keep reading about. Cute! It highlights your waist nicely.

brandilion said...

Let me get the straight you joined a timed project and didn't feel any motivation? This sounds so familiar. Like maybe every single KAL I've ever started. Including every one I started with you...

Weird. And I didn't think we were anything alike...

<3 You Susan!

Cennetta said...

Cute flattering skirt.

Angela said...

Cute cute! It totally suits you!