KNITTERS-DELIGHT



9:41 PM

Pattern Review RTW Challenge - the Mondo Dress


So I entered the Pattern Review RTW Challenge. Initially I was inspired by both Victoria Beckham's dress and Project Runway's All Star winner Mondo's dress. As I ventured further into the contest, I desired that I really wanted to go with Mondo's version as it seemed more flattering to my body shape.



So once I had my inspiration dress I went online to look for appropriate fabric. In the end I found just what I needed right at my local Yardage Town! Score.

Pattern Description:
Close-fitting, straight dresses A, B, C, above mid-knee, have princess seams, contrast front and back, back zipper and optional topstitching. A: sleeveless. B: contrast, self-lined cap sleeves with pleats. C: long sleeves. I made version C with longer sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:
8-14 & 16-22. I made a size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Very much so, although I made some design changes to match my inspiration, which was from Project Runway All Stars - Mondo's knit dress with Rorshach inspired blotches.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I didn't really need to follow the instruction on this one,since it was so easy. Of course the pattern is a quick and easy Butterick pattern which held up to its name.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This was a great pattern to modify. I was able to cut out the fabric and sew the sleeveless version of this dress to wear out to dinner with girlfriends in under three hours. I completed the sleeves on a separate evening after procrastinating the final step. Still, the dress is simple, slimming, and quick to make. No real dislikes to speak about.


Fabric Used:
Slinky jersey from Yardage Town on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. in San Diego.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I lengthened my dress, added a two way zipper to the back like my inspiration piece, and accented the sleeves with red fabric.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I do plan on sewing this one again, but this time it will be following the pattern completely. I do recommend this pattern and am even helping a co-worker make a version of it for herself.

Conclusion:
This was a great dress to make for my RTW challenge. I really enjoyed watching PR's all star season and was excited to copy one of Mondo's finale dresses.

17 comments:

AllisonC said...

Very cool dress, you chose some great fabrics to recreate the look - I love your runway photos too!

Sheila said...

Fabulous dress and great photo background.

Dr. Donna said...

Great knock-off! I love your interpretation of this design!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a great dress and an awesome interpretation!

brandilion said...

OMG I LOVE YOU! This made me miss our patio.

Rachel said...

I really love that. There is nothing I like better than sewing a knock off. Yours is fabulous!!

Virginia's Daughter said...

Wow! This looks great! Your interpretation is fabulous and the fit is fantastic. Love these pictures too! Very creative on all accounts!

marysews said...

I like your version much better!

velosews said...

If I was sitting in the front row, I would be cheering for your version.

Myra said...

Great look, love your version! Beautiful interpretation!

Mariela Alethia said...

You did a great job on the dress.

HeathersSphere said...

You cute and clever fashionista, you!

SewTell said...

You crack me up.

Very cute

Ambitious Sewer said...

The dress is just...WOW!!!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Wow. I had to do a double take when I saw the first & last photos. I wasn't until I read your post that I "saw" the one you designed. Great job!

SEWN said...

WOW!!! You totally nailed it. Love this dress on you!

Anonymous said...

Too cute. It looks great on you! Love the photoshopping, it took me a second to figure out it was you in those pictures :)