KNITTERS-DELIGHT



12:45 PM

FO Butterick 5211 times two



This weekend, I made one of four dresses that I have planned for my Sister-in-Law. She is updating her "Principals Wardrobe" and I'm the girl on the case. She lives in New Jersey, so I am relying on mere measurements, but I feel good about my challenge.

While I am not at the Selfish Seamstress' status on not wanting to make things for others, I must admit it does pose a problem....I want the fabric that I pick for others! I ended up going out 3 times this weekend buying fabric. Two of those occasions were me getting more of the fabric I picked for my SIL to make for myself. lol. Yup. I got issues.

I made both of our dresses using the Simply Silky blue fabric from Joann's with the Butterick 5211 Fast & Easy pattern. I saw a similar shape in this April's issue of Lucky magazine. Jessica Szohr, from Gossip Girl was raving about this $1,250 Thakoon dresses.



Well my version is polyester instead of silk, I'm am very happy with the end result, not to mention the $11.24 cost. That's a $1,238 savings. Haaa haaaa haaaa. I know, silk versus polyester, but seriously! I will probably buy some silk from Fabric.com to see how it will look in a more upscale material down the road.

This is the fourth dress for my Mini Wardrobe Contest at pattern review. I just have to make my composite by April 15th and I'm good!



I already have another spring dress cut and will also continue making my SIL dresses, so that's what you can expect to see shortly. Did I mention I bought a lot of fabric well I also upped my patterns too. I have been waiting for the Vogue patterns to go on sale so I could snatch up the new spring collection and it happened on Sunday. Score for me!


20 comments:

Manecoarse said...

I love the way you paired your dress with the jacket and the boots. That is so cute.

Karin (the mrs) said...

Great dress. And I can imagine you got some of this fabric for yourself too, it looks fabulous on you!

Victoria said...

Once again another cute dress. You just can't seem to pair a wrong fabric and pattern! Can't wait to see your mini wardrobe. Hope you win!!!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Another great dress and I love how you've styled it!

Hilary said...

Cuuute as always (love it with the scarf and cardi) and you've gotta love that $1000 savings!! :)

Lori said...

Another great dress. I can't wait to see your mini wardrobe.

Sheila said...

Such a cute dress... gorgeous print.

Faye Lewis said...

That print makes your dress - it is lovely, but then blue has always been MY color! You know I'm following your lead with the dresses because you do know how to pick them. To my surprise I do not have that pattern, but - I will (lol).

Heather said...

I love visiting here and viewing your need wardrobe additions.

Jenny said...

Super cute! I like the print and the style. Good job on sewing for someone else... I don't have the patience when I know I won't be able to wear it. Your hair is looking super cute too!

Omega said...

Really cute! I love the print, it's perfect for this dress and you look wonderful in it.

Mariela Alethia said...

Love the dress and the color and the print does all the work

gwensews said...

That's a terrific dress. Love the color!

Eliana said...

You have a great sense of style, Susan! Everything you made looks so beautiful!

Julie said...

oh wow, I LOVE that dress!! it looks so great on you. And your hair looks fantastic, too!

Lesalicious said...

Love the fabric you pick. Great job on your dress so cute.:)

amber said...

Great dress! I love the fabric and the way you have it styled.

Btw, Yay for getting the body bugg! How are you liking it so far?

Lynneb said...

LOVE the dress. And I especially love it with the cardi and bow at the neckline. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Love this color on you, it really is great! Cute dress. I can't believe how prolific you are. What's your secret?

BiKé said...

beautiful dress, love the color blend