KNITTERS-DELIGHT



2:58 PM

Simple Sophisticaton - FO McCall's 5388 Lace Top



I have my latest FO, which I finished on Sunday evening. It is the first non-knit fabric that I have used to create something since many moons ago. This was the first time that I have used a gauze material, despite buying yards and yards of it over the last year. This particular gauze fabric is very airy and I ended up doing a fair amount of handwork to make the project work.

I have have this pattern for a while and have seen great reviews on Pattern Review for every other view, but not this one. I realized why when I went to make it. It calls for three different types of lace, which don't typically come in a lot of colors. Not to be dissuade, I put down the intended fabric (which was a beautiful purple knit fabric) and ran over to Yardage Town on my lunch break (yes, I cut fabric on my lunch hour) and purchased the natural color fabric and the lace. The lace includes crochet lace, regular lace, and eyelet lace. I am glad it worked out so well. I think it is very romantic and updated Victorian. I was so into making this project, that I even kept the insides neat. I almost NEVER worry about how the insides come out. Since I have a serger, it often looks fine, enough - but for this project, I actually did the facing by hand so that it would cover up the lace work on the top portion. I used a rolled hem for the side seams and the hem.



FYI - my Denver Fabrics yarn came in and I will have to start thinking up projects for my newly added stash.

In other sewing news, I started tracing the pajama pattern from the latest BWOF, October issue. I plan on using a comfy knit fabric to make it weekend lounge wear instead of sleepwear. Other than that project, I only have plans for the crisp, white shirt in the Plus-Size section of the catalog. Here's hoping I'll have more to love in the December issue.

Oh, I forgot - I went to Sew Hut, the local Bernina store to get help on making better button holes. They really showed me how to complete the 4-step process properly along with the which attachment I need to use for my machine. With the small chisel I bought at Home Depot after reading Dawn's Fat Max post, I should have a profession pair of pants coming up in the next few days...or early next week.



Happy Humpday!

13 comments:

Erica Bunker said...

Cute top!

Sheila said...

That is a lovely top and great lace elements.

Gail said...

I love it!

Angela said...

Cute! It is very romantic!

Gail said...

Effortless style. I may include this top in my summer wardrobe.

gwensews said...

Love the lace. Very feminine.

meli88a said...

The collar is TDF!

julia said...

Very pretty, feminine, airy, flattering, etc.....

Faye Lewis said...

Thank you for the wonderful complement on my jacket!

Hilary said...

I think this might be my favorite. GREAT top.

Team Knit said...

love that top!! and it looks so soft and romantic with the sweater. Great outfit!!

- Julie

Andrea said...

That top is too cute. I love it on you. Nice job.

Don said...

Agreed.

Oh, I have a blog buddies named Virtuous and Adrienne who also knit, so I guess that's why I decided to stop by your blog.