KNITTERS-DELIGHT



12:39 PM

Off-Roading Part Deux – FO Simplicity 4075 – Medifast for Weight Loss



This post covers all of the recent “goings-on” that I have experienced. Multiple topics, which are not all craft related and probably a bit scattered, but my life in a nut shell.

This weekend was full of ups and downs….literally. I am still trying to buy my first home and the market has been pretty tough. I’ve made around 20 offers, with two different Realtors and only have 3 offers outstanding. I have to have an approved offer by November 2nd at the latest to still get an FHA loan and by October 30th to ensure I’ll get the FHA 8,000 tax credit. Sighhhh. I am trying to be positive and stand on faith – it just gets rough some times. Of course, I was reading some new blogs during my lunch break yesterday and I came across Greener Beginnings. Her blog has a scripture up on the right hand side – Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." This is just what I needed to read today. He didn’t bring me this far, just to leave me...

I had both a successful and unsuccessful sewing weekend, as well. I made my roommie a very sexy red skirt, using one of the flounces from the Butterick 5313 dress pattern. Believe me – it looks smokin’ on her…..ahem – photo shoot please...



I started another Simplicity 4075 top. I made one last year, but it was way too short on me, so I had to adapt it to fit my skinny Minnie Sister. I subsequently managed to lose the pattern for awhile, but traced it as soon as I found it – months ago. I added 8 inches to the midriff for length and put it way. Last week I ran to Yardage Town and bought some stretchy t-shirt material and started to make it. Unfortunately the material was too stretchy for this pattern and the end result is not so pretty. Not a person to give up easily, I managed to cut it out on Sunday night in a less stretchy knit fabric. I also cut it so that the back has no stretch and the front has a stretch only across the chest. Perfecto!!!!!!!!!!!!! The material was purchased online at Fabric.com almost a year ago. I got 1.5 yards of Korrina Pink Jersey Knit fabric for $7.17. This is much more fabric than I would need for the pattern, except that I opted to make long sleeves from another pattern (Butterick 5260). I made the sleeves extra long so it will go over my wrists. I really love how the tops looks with this addition. I am able to layer the top for work or go a bit sexy without a tank underneath, while staying warm during the colder season.



I also went off-roading again; this time in the desert. What a trip. Nine hours of roughing it down rocky cliffs and through the desert. At the end of the journey I saw a huge tarantula skipping along and a coyote that crossed my path to the bathroom (while I was still in the Jeep, thankfully). Here’s some pics from the journey including Monsieur Tarantula above.




I have also started on the Medifast weight plan. I have been up and down with my weight since starting my Master’s Degree program back in Vermont five years ago. One degree later and a huge move across the country to San Diego and I’m still enduring the same battle. I managed to lose 40+ pounds going on the Living Raw Foods diet two years ago, but haven’t had the motivation or resources to keep it up again. Many of the yummy Raw food restaurants and grocery stores in my area have closed since the economy took a nose dive. I am so uncomfortable in my own body that I had to take a new leap of faith. A few people from the local radio station found great results, so I’m up for giving it a try. It’s pretty simple, so I think it’ll be a good choice for me. Of course I will also be going back on my 30 minute lunch walks with my co-worker Carol as well as utilizing my 24-hour fitness membership more. I have also signed up for a free online calorie counter to track my food intake and workouts.

I am also planning on using part of my lunch-time to knit a cardigan from Wendy Bernard's Custom Knits book. I think that I miss my knitting, despite the passion I have been feeling for sewing these days. Why not split my focus and do both?

That’s it – that’s all, for now. I am going to be making a go at an A-line skirt tonight for another BurdaStyle contest. This time, it’s for a new Pfaff sewing machine, along with other goodies. Since I have an FO that I’m happy with, I’m feeling comfortable enough to try this project out for the evening. Hopefully you will be seeing the results in a post tomorrow...

19 comments:

brandilion said...

Hey lady, I was home almost all weekend, make up done and everything. I was totally ready for a photo shoot. Where was you? Oh yeah, hanging with Mr. Spidey. Psh. You are starting to sound like me. I think we switched lives somewhere.

The new top looks fantastic by the way!

Angela said...

You look beautiful in your new top! The colors are awesome on you.

Anonymous said...

That top is absolutely adorable. I love the print -- very Pucci.

Good luck on your weight loss efforts, though I think you look just fine!

Amanda S. said...

I love the new top! That fabric is super cute. Too bad you bought it last year. Or was it last spring? My husband would love it if I'd go off-roading with him, but I get so motion sick that it's impossible.

KID, MD said...

Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous!! The fit is great and the print is awesome. The long sleeves are a wonderful touch. It looks perfect on you.

Andrea said...

You really did do a very nice job on this top, and it looks fabulous on you.

Good luck with the diet. I know how you feel. I started a dance class last week and it kicked my butt since I haven't danced in like 6 years. I'm not giving up since I want to get all this extra weight off.

Sheila said...

Lovely top and the colors are awesome.

The Knitwit Hues said...

LOVE the top - perfect colors and print, perfect fit, gorgeous L-O-N-G sleeves .... you look stunning!

I'll keep your house hunt in my prayers. Didn't know you were looking and having such a hard time -- would've been prayin' already if I knew!

gwensews said...

Pretty pink top! Very nice. Good luck with the diet. And the house.

Gail said...

Scarey spider - my house is full of them at the moment. I love your top. Those bright colours are so becoming on you.

Sew-Ann said...

I really like the print of the top and the colors.

That spider is creepy.

Robin said...

I *LOVE* that new top. The print and fit are fab-u-lous. Good luck with the weight loss efforts. That sucks about the raw food places going out of business :( There is one in my town that has been open for the past two years and appears to be going strong, though I can't see how as this particular place is not very good. I'm surprised that in CA there wouldn't be more people consistently into the raw food thing.

I got my Butterick 5313 back from Dawn as it was too short for her and I decided to wear it today despite my misgivings. I'll be posting my pictures on my blog today. It's just OK.

Cas... said...

Very cute top. You made it work.

I recently lost 25lbs and I did it by cutting back on how much I eat, eating more vegetables and some exercise. I don't exercise as much as I should but I'm doing great. Don't let one slip discourage you. It will come together when you least expect it.

Susan said...

Thanks everyone. Motivational support always helps!

Hilary said...

GREAT top! The colors are so pretty on you. I also love your hair in these photos!

Buying a house (well, a condo) was one of the most stressful things I have ever done in my life and there were definitely times that I wanted to give up and thought there was no way they would work out. But it all worked out in the end! I'll keep you and your house-buying situation in my prayers!

Lisa said...

Hey Susan,

Best of luck with the Medifast... I've seen awesome online/ magazine results that make me wish something like that was here! As usual, your sewing is very inspirational. I had a fight with the sewing machine this weekend and it won. Needless to say the fabric and the invisible zip wound up in the garbage! Ah well, someday I'll get it.

meli88a said...

I'm on board with everyone else - awesome pucci looking top... but I can't believe you got close enough to that tarantula for a photo!

julia said...

Good luck with your house purchasing! my husband is a realtor and he gets very frustrated with all the "stuff" that gets in the way of people trying to buy and sell!
You look fantastic in that top. That pink looks great on you. You look fantastic, period!

ItsMeAAT said...

Hi just stopping by from www.BlogsHerColor.com

I looked at a few of your post and you have great work, one of my favs is definitely this shirt