KNITTERS-DELIGHT



1:35 PM

Butterick 5313 Flounce Dress and Off-Roading!



I actually finished this dress on Saturday, but needed to snap some photos to show it off. First off, I am not thrilled with it, but have plans for a restructuring project that will make me much more happy with this piece. The dress is a bit heavy due to the way the directions call for putting the pieces together, but it's not unbearable. I thickened the straps to give it a tad bit more girth. For my second installment, I will make it double the current thickness to allow for wearing a bra with straps.



In different news, I went off-roading at Otay Mountains this past weekend. Man oh man, was I ever nervous! I prayed the whole way up and down those off-road mountainous hills. I mean, seriously - the "paths" if you want to call them that were all rocks and dirt. Also, it was very narrow, and we had canyons on at least on of the sides at all time. Still, it was a blast since I survived. Here's a shot at the starting point of the off-roading venture. Yup, I was so high-up by this point and the scary part hadn't even begun. lol. Here's a shot of me "on location" rocking my new dress! lol. While it might have looked crazy bringing my heels and dress to snap a picture. lol. What can I say...I couldn't resist the scenery. lol.



Here's what my dress will look like after it's shortened and the flounces are moved up to omit the flounce-less area as it is now. What do you think? I plan on using the midriff section of this dress to make a short dress for my roomie. She really likes the McCall leggings I made for her, but would like a flirty, short, flouncy skirt to cover it up a bit, when she wears a shorter top. This pattern is perfect to adapt for that purpose. I'll use one of the flounce pattern pieces and midriff section to draft her skirt. Stay tuned, I think it'll be a winner.

15 comments:

brandilion said...

My new skirt is going to rock. And I really prefer that dress shorter.

Now, can we cut pieces tonight? I'm gonna be home :)

Angela said...

Cute dress! I think it looks good either way!

Anonymous said...

I really like it either way, too. It's too cute on you! And you're way braver than I am, to go off-roading.

Hilary said...

Awesome! I like the dress both ways, actually. Both look great on you. And I LOVE that you took your whole outfit off-roading to take photos!

Birgitte said...

That is a tough call cause you look smashing in both. But maybe an itsy bit more in the last version.

Faye Lewis said...

That's an amazing dress!

Gail said...

Great dress and terrific colour that I wish I could wear. Personally I think that the longer length is more flattering for you.

gwensews said...

Cute dress. I like the longer version. You look like you could be on "Dancing With the Stars"!

Sew-Ann said...

I'm needing to see more of those heels chica. Love the colors of the dress. The green and white is poppin!

Jada said...

Very cute dress love the color.

Opal said...

Cute dress...

QueenSH said...

This is adorable...the green is gorgeous.

Lynne said...

Too, TOO cute! I love the modifications you're going to do. And, I am laughing to myself thinking of you taking your dress and heels with you off-roading!

Sheila said...

The dress looks fabulous on you and like the longer length.

The Knitwit Hues said...

SO cute and lively! I like the longer length too -- not 'cause of the length, per se, but 'cause I like the solid green at the bodice. It's way cool, though, to make a skirt with the midriff portion.

Glad you survived off-roading! :P