KNITTERS-DELIGHT



4:15 PM

Sewing Machine Meme


Sew, Mama, Sew! is slating June as "Sewing Machine Month" and are kicking things off with a meme. Here are my answers:

What brand and model do you have? Bernina Activa 125.

How long have you had it? 1 year.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)? $1,100 when it was purchased.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)? Lots of clothes. Occasionally a quilt and hopefully a handbag.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get? I sew almost every day. My machine gets TONS of use.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name? Nina and I are very happy together. I get frustrated about my lack of skills from time to time, not Nina’s fault at all.

What features does your machine have that work well for you? It is a fairly easy and straightforward machine. I can easily thread my machine including the bobbin. I have lots of different attachments, many have yet to be used. I think the invisible zipper foot attachment is a God-send.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine? Not really. It is a tad bit heavy, since I bring it to my weekly sewing class, to Vermont with me on Christmas vacation, and to Little Italy to visit the Sicilian. Yup, she is in my car right now, should I get the desire to sew during my lunch break!

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it! I have always wanted to sew clothes, but assumed I’d fail miserable. I kept my crafting to knitting clothing and sewing quilts. Once I became determine to learn, I signed up for a sewing class with the San Diego Continuing Education program. My Mom was so enthusiastic that she decided to trade me her Bernina (only used a few times) for my old $99 Singer. DONE! I haven’t looked back since.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why? This specific model was discontinued the year it was purchased. If was replaced by the Activa 220. I like mine better. (Yes, I am biased).

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine? Portability, function, ease, help, service-ability, and price.

Do you have a dream machine? If I were to change machines, it would be for another Bernina. I’m hooked.

3 comments:

Sew-Ann said...

I've read other bloggers and sewers praising this brand. Unfortunately I only knew of two brands when I went shopping. If I buy another it may be Bernina or Viking.

Robin said...

Love the meme - I'm going to have to do this one too now. Happy weekend!

Lesalicious said...

I will totally have to do this for my next post. I wish I could sew as much as you do. It's a totally stress relief when I finally do sew. :)