KNITTERS-DELIGHT



12:49 PM

Massive Photos for Multiple FOs!

The Davis Clan on route to Plattsburgh on the Ferry


I am back from my trip to Vermont visiting family. What a fabulous time! While I was only there for a long weekend, we were able to cram in enough to fill a week. I got to see my 3 Nieces (my Brother's kids) and 3 Nephews (my Sister's kids), in addition to my Sister and Parents.

I mentioned in a previous post that I planned to bring Nina to sew some projects. Of course, I did - and boy did it worhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifk out. I made a quick and simple dress for my God Daughter, a shirt and skirt for my Mother (as well as taking in a dress she bought in Africa...or India...), and a shirt for my Sister. That's a lot of sewing in a few days.

Still managed to go to Plattsburgh New York on the ferry, have a barbecue, go to a Chinese buffet, Church, and more.

Simplicity 2618


This pattern has a shirt and a dress, but I opted to make the outfit as separates (shirt and skirt). I used the skirt portion of the dress pattern and just added 3/8" elastic. I think the top will be great with pants as well, so this makes it more versatile.

New Look 6807 - front



New Look 6807 - back with ties



My Sister really liked my pink version of this top. Of course I originally started this yellow version for myself, but for whatever reason, it was a bit too snug. I let her try it on and she loved it, except for the fact that she was swimming in it. I took in the sides and the back, finished the ties, and voila - a perfect fit for my older, but much smaller Sis.



So, my Mother tried on the New Look top and also loved it, but it seemed like the fit was a bit off on her, too. That's why I took it in and gave it to my Mother. Kwacha (my Mom) was a bit unhappy with my Sister always getting the clothes that are too tight for her (I feel her pain), so I made a run to Joann Fabrics in South Burlington, picked up some yellow fabric to make the Simplicity top and the flower print fabric to make the skirt. I really like the pleats on this one.

The great thing about this Joann's trip is that my Sister became motivated to sew also. She picked up two easy patterns and some fabric. While discussing all of the possibilities of her potential new craft, we started talking with the fabric cutter there. She TEACHES sewing at an unbelievable rate of $9/hour. My Sister will meet her at her home (along with my Sister's boys - since the woman has 2 boys and tons of video games to keep them occupied) and receive one-on-one lessons. This young lady put herself through college by sewing wedding dresses. She is a Godsend. While there, I picked up some quick and easy fabric to make my God daughter a dress as well. Our new found sewing friend recommended how to make the ties using cheaper ribbon in two colors and braiding it, for a fabulous effect! Here's a pic of Rehtse's mother modeling it for me!



Whew! I'm pooped just typing all of this! Now I can start on some projects for myself! I purchased the new Simplicity patterns after Robin advised me that they were on sale. They have some really cute patterns I want to try. I might make the same Simplicity top that I made my Mother as well, since I bought double the fabric. I am really looking forward to some fabulous FOs now that the family projects came out such a success! Here's hoping.....

13 comments:

Julia said...

You have a beautiful family. I can tell you are all very close. Your mom looks fantastic in her new outfit. And your skinny/minny sister does too. Mine is skinny too. She hasn't always been, but she's sick and has lost lots of weight. I'd like to lose but not that way. I hope your sis keeps the sewing bug. It's contagious, or so they say. I can't find anyone around here who sews clothes. Quilters, yes, knitters, yes, and crocheters, yes, but no sewists. Oh well, I guess it's ok to be unique.

The Knitwit Hues said...

Whew! I truly did LOL when you said just writing all that made you tired again 'cause I was reeling at all you accomplished while there. :p

I LOVE the yellow top and skirt outfit -- so perfect together (the fabrics, the cuts of the pieces ... just everything!)

What totally blows me away, tho, is the pic of y'all on the Ferry. You are all absolutely gorgeous and have such sweet smiles. Wonderful to be so close and loving. What a blessing, and I can see and feel your joy. :D

Sew-Ann said...

The yellow looks great on your mom and sis. And that skirt has me lusting after the fabric. I love the pink with the grey in it.

gwensews said...

You are so fortunate to have a family. You were making memories. And, a sewing vacation as well.

Sheila said...

Lovely family pic and WoW! your sewing machine needle was smoking. Great garments.

Hilary said...

Seriously, all that in three days?! And didn't you take the red-eye out there, thus making you extremely exhausted on the first of those three days? I am extremely impressed by all you got done. Also -- what a beautiful family!! Your sister and mom look awesome in their new clothes, and how cute is that little dress for your god-daughter!

Omega said...

WOW, you did good, everyting looks really nice. Great family pictures, you'll have great memories!

Jada said...

WOW that was a lot of sewing!!Everything looked good and your family seems love what you made for them!! That would make a sewer feel good! :)

Jackie said...

What a beautiful family! All the sewing looks so great! Glad you had a wonderful visit.

Lynneb said...

Looks like a great trip. And your projects? Nicely done. I love that yellow print from Joann's. I've eyed it up all season!

Lesalicious said...

Looks like you all had a ball. I have been trying to get my sisters so sew for years. Loving the tops they so cute. :)

robin said...

Wow, were you ever busy!!! Everyone looks great in your creations - they are lucky to have a family member like you!

Ayana said...

What a nice family.!! Its really great that your sister became motivated to sew also. I too always get fabrics from Joann.