KNITTERS-DELIGHT



12:20 PM

FO - Butterick 4789 Dress



I am thrilled to have completed an FO that is actually wearable and attractive. For the last 2 weeks I have not been too successful. I refused to get frustrated (this is rare for me) and kept going. Voila - a successful piece. I started Simplicity 4076 on Tuesday during my sewing class. I had already cut the fabric before going to class. The teacher had just made one of the tops from that pattern and told me that it runs short. I tend to like my shirts longer anyway, so I'll have to add more fabric to the bottom to make it work. Since the design was a good look for me, I picked up Butterick 4789. It's a Maggie London design very similar to the Simplicity style. Butterick's version has more material in the twist and a v-neckline both in the front and back.

I made a size 14, but used my Olfa sewing guide attachment for my rotary cutter to add an additional 5/8” around the pattern when I cut it out, especially since the knit I picked from my stash didn't seem to have enough stretch. I did a narrow hem on the neckline and twin cover stitch for the sleeves and hem.

Here’s a close-up of the twist portion



Here's a pic of the back



I will make this again for sure! I may even try doing the shirt version this weekend. I would consider this a must-try wardrobe builder.

13 comments:

Amanda S. said...

This is really cute and flattering on you. Great job!

QueenSH said...

This is too cute!! It suits you very well.

Julia said...

This is awesome. It fits you so perfectly!! I think with a longer sleeve I could wear this. I'll have to check out that pattern. Black and white seem to be everywhere this spring.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Susan the dress is gorgeous and you know you are "workin' it"!

gwensews said...

Very pretty dress, and it fits well. Great job.

CraftyEarthMama said...

Oooh wee! That's beautiful. I love the twist detail and the drop in the back :)

Julia said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I agree that going to the nursing home is a blessing to the kids. I used to take my girls a lot and they have always had great respect for the elderly.

robin said...

It's extremely cute!! Good call on adjusting the pattern size to account for the lack of stretch in the knit - as you know, all knits are not created equal. A lot of people don't realize that though - I found that out when I took that Understanding Knit Fabrics class on PR!

Sarah said...

Seriously, you must have a huge closet for all the fabulous clothes you make yourself! I love seeing all of your creations, they make me want to get my own sewing machine out. I love the twist detail on this one!

Ambitious Sewer said...

I know I have said it before but...it is absolutley beautiful...I love the dress and how it fits you...I think I will make my own...

Adrienne said...

GORGEOUS!

brandilion said...

It's pretty lady!

Hilary said...

You say: "I am thrilled to have completed an FO that is actually wearable and attractive." But, but...EVERYTHING you make is wearable and attractive! Great dress - I love it!