KNITTERS-DELIGHT



3:37 PM

The Busy Bee Without an FO – plus Hispanic Fashion Week



Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions on fixing my “muumuu”. I may have over compensated on one side, so now it’s perfect on one side and two tight on the other. Uggghhh. I am not giving up hope, though. I will consider that my muslin and redo the dress, going down a size or two.

I also have failed to respond to my wonderful Sisterhood Award. I am grateful to all those that read my blog and to actually get an award to boot….amazing. Thanks to: Knit Machine Queen, Mimisatin, Omega, and Tanya. Since I am so late on the draw, I won’t nominate anyone, but know that I have good thoughts going out to all those who deserve an award!



I traced the pattern for the Butterick 5329 dress on Saturday and sewed the back up last night. I think I will stay home from the Infinite Knitters Group tonight and work on finishing up the front. I’d like to wear it to work tomorrow, as well as to wear it to my Tuesday night sewing class. For lunch, I traced a skirt using Butterick 4710 and pants using Butterick 5237. I will try to cut the fabric out for these two this evening as well. I’m pausing on my Burda skirt. Just not in the mood to work with a silky, slippery material right now. These two projects will keep me busy during class! If I’m able to know out these three items this week, my next project will be the Maggy London twist top (Butterick 4789). I think I’m in need of another wardrobe update, since I’ve gained too much winter weight to wear the same size. That’s the great thing about sewing; I can whip up some fashionable items without shedding a tear.

I had a bit of inspiration this weekend. A friend of mine called to tell me about the 3-day Hispanic Fashion show that was happening in downtown San Diego. Each night, three different, up-and-coming designers are show cased. I made it to the second day’s event. The pictures I’ve posted are from the second line. I think I will try to start to incorporate a bit of trim or dazzle to some of my sewed pieces, to add a bit of flair and individuality.




In an attempt to further my beginner skills, I have placed an Amazon order for three fitting/pattern adjusting books: “Pattern Fitting with Confidence” by Nancy Zieman, “Fit for Real People: Sew Great Clothes Using any Pattern” by Pati Palmer, and “The Perfect Fit: The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns”. I even got inspired and bought bins for fabric stashing and bins to fit the enormous stash of patterns I’ve accumulated in only 6 or so months. I am confident that I can stash bust and avoid future fabric/pattern shopping for quite a while now. In addition, I have received my April Burda issue, which is the 3rd from my subscription and the 5th that I own. These can give me a lifetime worth of patterns, too!

11 comments:

brandilion said...

How is it that when I asked about your weekend you mentioned NOTHING about fashion shows! Hello? Primo info.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Had you asked me first I would have told you not to buy the Nancy Zieman book or The Perfect Fit. If you get Fit for Real People, the book and the DVD, and the Full Busted DVD I guarantee you won't need any other fitting info. You didn't ask so you didn't know. Sorry. Start saving up to get 'em.

gwensews said...

You have a lot of plans in the works. I'm so glad to see a budding seamstress emerging. The fitting books are all good choices. You'll enjoy them. Good luck and continue sewing. It's a fascinating thing to do.

Julia said...

Those gowns are beautiful with just enough bling to make them perfect. It sounds like you have really big sewing plans. Good luck and keep sewing!!

Ambitious Sewer said...

Good luck...I am so excited for you, can't wait too see what you will do with all your new resources.

Cas... said...

Too bad about your muumuu. But I think your attitude is great.

Keep up the good work!

robin said...

I love that chili-colored dress from Hispanic Fashion Week!

I think one of the nicest things about sewing is not feeling that sense of dread about not fitting into stuff in the store correctly. You can just whip something up that fits and looks great in the "interim" with the winter weight (not that I've noticed any from your pics!) Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Hilary said...

Hispanic fashion week - how cool! Those dresses are gorgeous, and very inspirational!

Philigry said...

this is great. how fun. i would love to go to something like this.

Cennetta said...

The gowns are exquisite.

Bridget Wang said...

I've also accumulated a not-so-small stash of sewing patterns in a short time, and now I really need to use them.