KNITTERS-DELIGHT



12:35 PM

FO New Look 6729 & FIDM Shopping Spree



I have completed my latest top - New Look's 6729 knit top. It is a very different construction for me and even though it was an easy pattern, it took a bit of time to wrap my head around putting it together. I made view C without the ties. I opted to take in the sides more, so it wasn't needed.



This is a very comfy top and it made its debut all around LA and Venice Beach. Yup - I went to FIDM, the Fashion Institute of Direct Merchandising. We talked about the different fabric spots in the LA Fashion District in my sewing class. A classmate came back with wonderful tales of fabric galore, so the Sicilian and I took a drive to LA on Saturday. I didn't have a chance to make it to the different stores, but managed to go to FIDM, where the future designers study. They have a Scholarship Store where they sell clothes in front and behind the curtain.....there's lots of fabric.



I picked up yards and yards of knit fabric for only $30! I mean really great fabric for only $1/yard. If there were any cut outs on the bottom, they would throw in an extra 1/2 yard. Perfect!



With all of the new knit fabric, I plan to watch the last 2 episodes of Season 3 of Lost with my roommate and sewing up a storm. She is hoping to work on the McCall top I did previously and I am looking to work on a Burda skirt and top that I have already traced out. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will be productive in sewing and Lost! lol. We still have Season 4 to get through before catching up to the rest of the world...Season 5. (No spoilers please).

Update: The shrug I'm wearing is called Fusion by Leanne Prouse & Lorraine Tweddle. It's found in the Ella Rae Book Seven. I used Ella Rae Shibu, the called for fiber. I made this shrug for myself last year and then another for my Sister.

23 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

That top is really cute and fits like it was made for you...LOL.

Faye Lewis said...

Man, I know you girls had a great time. Wish I could have been there to stock up on $1 knits. Enjoy.

Erica Bunker said...

Your top is great and fit is perfect!

~holly said...

that top looks great on you. the fit is perfect. i have an ample bust and now i have hope of making a stylish top without the girls hanging out.

Melodye said...

I'm really glad this store was in LA and not the one in San Diego that I didn't get a chance to visit. I would have died. Glad to see you got such a haul. You sound as if you're doing better too.

Delana said...

Very cute! I'm jealous of the shopping trip. Nothing like that around here where I live.

Shanta Hayes said...

That top is fabulous. I'm trying to work through my stash as it is, so enjoy all your goodies for me too!

Shanta Hayes said...

oh yeah, what's the pattern for the shrug you're wearing? I really like it too.

Omega said...

Cute, top, looks great on you! That shopping trip sounds like lots of fun, I'm jealous.

Clumsy Knitter said...

Wow! That top looks great on you! I'm very impressed with your sewing skills. :)

Cas... said...

Nice top! You're definitely on a roll! I'm getting my sewing mojo back too. Great stuff!

Wow! $1 knits! I need to go there but the flight would be too expensive! LOL! Glad you got a lot of fabric and had a good time!

Keep up the good work!

ekgheiy said...

Work it girl!! Nice work indeed.

Hilary said...

Fabulous top! I love how you have it styled -- the whole outfit is really great. And I'm so jealous of your purchases!

Robin said...

Your top looks great on you!! I have to make another one of these.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy doing most of your photography and being part of your sewing projects. As always you look great. Your sewing skills are getting better by the minute. Project runway watch out!

Giovanni

or as known to your fellow bloggers the Sicilian....lol

Unknown said...

It looks great on you...and it's super cute!

Carla(LoverofWords) said...

your top is very cute... you are killing that pose in the middle of the sidewalk with all of those people walking by.

MissMasala5 said...

Love it, Susan! AN I love how you're working it sidewalk! No autographs, please, LOL! That trip to FIDM and all that fabric--girl, I'm too jelly! I need a Sicilian in my life, I suppose :P

Anonymous said...

The top is HOT! Perfectly done. And the fabric shopping? Oh, good gracious...glad I came over to your blog to see who you are...good stuff going on here!

Dei said...

You make the cutest stuff! I love that top and the little shrug you added with it.

Cennetta said...

Lady, that's top looks great. You certainly know how to strut your stuff down the boulvard.

Bridget Wang said...

OMG! I was just there in March! I really really wish there were a FIDM store in my town.

Michelle said...

That top is perfect! I have made it with the ties, but because you just hem them, the wrong sides show. So I never wear it. I should make the version you did, because yours looks FANTASTIC!