KNITTERS-DELIGHT



10:36 AM

Wedding Wonders & Burda FO - On Location



I had a wonderful time going to Morgan and Ashley's wedding in Boca Grande this weekend. I won't give you too many details, since it was their special day, but I will say that it was beautiful.



In honor of the special occasion, I attempted my first Burda WOF pattern. I traced my size (42) and cut out the fabric (adding my guesstimate for the seam allowance, since I couldn't find my new Olfa attachment that does this for you) on Wednesday. I also ironed on the Vilene Bias tape, which I ordered from the UK a while back, in preparation for making Burda patterns. On Thursday I sewed it up, finishing just before Midnight.



After giving up on trying to make my relationship work (aka my long, sad post), I ended up patching things up with the Sicilian. He accompanied me to the wedding and even took snaps of the special occasion, along with lots of pics of my dress. All I can do is move cautiously, and take things one step at a time. It's nice to be able to get my feelings out and vent, and feel support, regardless of my decisions. Thank you for listening and offering so many words of encouragement.



Back to Burda.....I have not seen another version of the 02-2009-119 dress, although quite a few people have made the 02-2009-118 shirt, which is from the same pattern. Reading reviews for the 118 shirt, there was a lot of discussion about direction difficulty, especially with the puffy sleeve portion. In a "get-r-done" spirit, I dove in, without giving too much thought to the directions. I sewed up the side seams on the lower portion of the dress first and then sewed the upper bodice. This was the opposite of what the directions called for. I even managed to gather the puffed portion of the sleeves and pin it to the shoulder, before realizing that I was running out of time and actually liked how my dress looked without adding it. Since I want to learn new techniques and like the design element, I am planning on making shirt 118, keeping the puff sleeves in the design. I'll make sure to use a less busy fabric than my dress so
it's not competing with the shirt structure.




I'm very happy with how it came out and will dive into the 118 top very soon. I also picked up the latest Lucky magazine and saw that wild print fabric, especially in stretch silk is in for Spring. This is right up my alley. I'm going to look for a few new fabric pieces soon.

Last, but not least - I have separated the sleeves for my Circle Shrug and have to complete the sleeves before starting on the neckline. With the progress I'm making, I'll have this completed sometime this month, which is better than I've been lately.

28 comments:

Erica Bunker said...

Susan you dress looks great on you. I've never been a huge fan of florals because so many can look like upholstery. But you made a fabulous selection! That one is beautiful and looks so Spring-like! If I see one like that, I will grab it for sure!

Julia said...

That fabric is perfect on you!!! I love the way you cut it out so that it is arranged so well on the dress. Looks like a designer's dress to me. You look great!!

~holly said...

you did a super nice job on this dress. i love the fabric. love it!

Anonymous said...

That is a great looking dress. I have a burda pattern I would like to create, but haven't begun to start tracing it yet. I was wondering what yarn are you using for your circle shrug. I am not able to find the Neighborhood Yarn in my area and will probably end up using Ella Rae Bamboo Silk which I think will turn out nicely.

Omega said...

Your dress looks great on you & so appropriate for a wedding. It makes a nice Spring dress, great selection.

Amanda S. said...

I LOVE the dress and the fabric. Where did you get it???

Birgitte said...

You and the dress look gorgeous!

Phoebe said...

Wow, the dress turned out amazing!

Anonymous said...

Had a great time in Boca Grande. The wedding and hospitality was D... wait for it ...lightful.

Ciao

Giovanni, or as Sushi would say the Sicilian "corny"

Cennetta said...

Girl, you look fantastic! Great job on the dress.

Cas... said...

Very nice dress. I really like the floral print. It's just right. Not too much.

Good Luck on the relationship. Sometimes you need to step back and just try to have fun.

Lara said...

I love the dress - such a great print!

Keep smiling! Taking things slow is a really good thing after coming out of a break up. I wish you the best!

Virtuous said...

LUV LUV LUV your dress! And you look so good in it!

Yep taking things one day at a time is all you can do with relationships!

OOh! And upcoming knitting! Yay! :o)

gwensews said...

That's a very pretty, feminine dress. Lovely on you. It was perfect for the location and occasion.

Melodye said...

Wonderful dress and it looks wonderful on you. You did a good job.

Faye Lewis said...

That dress is really nice, the print and the fit. Can you tell me what the Olfa attachment for seam allowances is?

Tanya said...

Great dress. I nominated your for the sisterhood award.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I saw your review on PR and came by to see more pics of the dress. It is lovely...especially the fabric...LOVE the fabric!!!

Hilary said...

BEAUTIFUL dress!! It is just perfect for you.

Andrea said...

You look fabulous. The floral print is perfect!! I am so jealous you did a Burda pattern before me;) I glad you were able to patch things up with your guy!! Good luck on that.

Ashley said...

So glad that you, G, and the dress were able to come! We really enjoyed having you guys here and look forward to seeing all those photos!
Great dress! I so wish I had your clothes-making (Morgan says that isn't a word..) skills!

Anonymous said...

Love the dress! Very appropriate for a wedding in Florida... Also, the picture of the wedding is great! Congratulations Morgan and Ashley!!!

Dei said...

You look so happy and you have the perfect dress to suit your mood. The floral is just enough and you chose the right pattern for it.

Sorry about the relationship woes. Hang in there. Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to BWOF. Your dress looks great :)

CarlaF-in Atlanta

Faye Lewis said...

The sewing expo was really great, but now I'm greedy and I want more classes.

amanda said...

your sewing skills seriously amaze me. gorgeous dress!!

Fox :::.... said...

Lovely dress!

Philigry said...

i love your blog and all the awesome clothes you gave been making for yourself. thanks so much for stopping by mine!
I will be back soon to see what you are up to!