I had a wonderful time going to Morgan and Ashley's wedding in Boca Grande this weekend. I won't give you too many details, since it was their special day, but I will say that it was beautiful.
In honor of the special occasion, I attempted my first Burda WOF pattern. I traced my size (42) and cut out the fabric (adding my guesstimate for the seam allowance, since I couldn't find my new Olfa attachment that does this for you) on Wednesday. I also ironed on the Vilene Bias tape, which I ordered from the UK a while back, in preparation for making Burda patterns. On Thursday I sewed it up, finishing just before Midnight.
After giving up on trying to make my relationship work (aka my long, sad post), I ended up patching things up with the Sicilian. He accompanied me to the wedding and even took snaps of the special occasion, along with lots of pics of my dress. All I can do is move cautiously, and take things one step at a time. It's nice to be able to get my feelings out and vent, and feel support, regardless of my decisions. Thank you for listening and offering so many words of encouragement.
Back to Burda.....I have not seen another version of the 02-2009-119 dress, although quite a few people have made the 02-2009-118 shirt, which is from the same pattern. Reading reviews for the 118 shirt, there was a lot of discussion about direction difficulty, especially with the puffy sleeve portion. In a "get-r-done" spirit, I dove in, without giving too much thought to the directions. I sewed up the side seams on the lower portion of the dress first and then sewed the upper bodice. This was the opposite of what the directions called for. I even managed to gather the puffed portion of the sleeves and pin it to the shoulder, before realizing that I was running out of time and actually liked how my dress looked without adding it. Since I want to learn new techniques and like the design element, I am planning on making shirt 118, keeping the puff sleeves in the design. I'll make sure to use a less busy fabric than my dress so
it's not competing with the shirt structure.
I'm very happy with how it came out and will dive into the 118 top very soon. I also picked up the latest Lucky magazine and saw that wild print fabric, especially in stretch silk is in for Spring. This is right up my alley. I'm going to look for a few new fabric pieces soon.
Last, but not least - I have separated the sleeves for my Circle Shrug and have to complete the sleeves before starting on the neckline. With the progress I'm making, I'll have this completed sometime this month, which is better than I've been lately.