KNITTERS-DELIGHT



12:34 PM

FO - Butterick 5173



Here is the dress that I made for my Mother for Christmas. It is Butterick 5173 using fabric that she picked out at Joann Fabrics. She looks soooo cute! I haven't confirmed whether or not she actually likes the dress, but I'll find out for sure.

Pattern Review
Pattern Description: Butterick 5173

Pattern Sizing: 14

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? For the most part. There were some issues with the neck band, like many others mentioned in previous reviews.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I had some difficulty getting the thread used for the gathering at the bust to be hidden. Even though I was using my old Singer instead of my Bernina, I don't think it should have been as tricky as it was. Instead of one evening, I worked on this dress for 3 days.

Fabric Used: Polyester Knit with gold designs.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: A few changes including omitting the interfacing and adding length to the dress by making a thicker hem. I also added extra material to the neckline to make it a bit more modest for my Mother to wear to Church.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. I'd like to try this one for myself using my Bernina.

Conclusion: A really pretty design that seems to flatter multiple body types. I'm definitely up for trying my hand at it again in the future.

3 comments:

Ambitious Sewer said...

The fabric is very pretty, I love the purple and the print is really fun!

Team Knit said...

wow!! you have such mad sewing skills, so impressive!

- Julie

Cennetta said...

Lovely and very flattering gift for your mom.