KNITTERS-DELIGHT



2:18 PM

FO - Simplicity 3775





I have finally completed my first sewed jersey dress! I really like the bold colors and the comfort of the material. While I did have my share of drama with this piece, mainly shirring/gathering the midriff, I finally opted for a flat midriff to finish things up. This will be a great addition to my work wardrobe. Trying to do a photo shoot on the only windy day in San Diego resulted in me adding a warm, jacket to the ensemble. At least I know how I will be wearing it to work. Perfect!

I went for choice B, which is the sleeveless dress and the flat midriff. Of course, I've been seeing some great pieces with gathered midriffs and have gone out and purchased an additional Bernina attachment that has a hole to put cord into the garment to keep the gathering in place. I also purchased the walking foot to stop my tricot from sliding when I make my customized bras and an additional attachment for sewing close the the fabric edge evenly. For my simplicity dress, I just serged the edge, giving a scalloped raw finish, which I like. Actually this was my first piece that I used my serger for the majority of the work. Next up....another knit jersey! I'm anxiously waiting for my new knit books so I can sneak in a quickie, too.

29 comments:

DeltaPurl said...

Project Runway and America's Next Top Model here you come!

Clumsy Knitter said...

Wow, that looks great. I'm really impressed! The print on the fabric looks very nice. :)

Unknown said...

hot, hot, hot! I wish I had the tummy to pull of that flat midriff style, but my Empty Baby House tum says No Go. I will have to try the gathered midriff style, though, for sure!

Shannon said...

You look Fabulous!!

Virtuous said...

They look so great!! :o) Cute F.O. pic!

Have a FAB week Wendy!! YAY!

Virtuous said...

Gurl you better WORK IT!! :oD

Great match! The dress looks good!

mle said...

very cute on you and the coat goes with it perfectly!

WandaWoman said...

You are rockin' that dress. Love it! And with the boots, you are really stylin'. Love the combo.

Unknown said...

I really love what you have done with this ... you have a great style. Congratulations!

ekgheiy said...

Cool! Great coat choice too. :)

Cas... said...

You really work the photos! I thought you made a coat too at first! I was about to say wow! I really need to step up my game!

Great job! Keep up the good work!

brandilion said...

I like the flat midriff better too :)

But look out, your sewing is catching on with me :) You need to photograph my new skirt for me when I finish the hem.

Phoebe said...

The weather may be cool, but the dress is HAWT!

Nik said...

Work it.

Opal said...

Nice dress! I love the fabric and the color

amanda said...

Wow, this looks amazing! Nice work!

Sheila said...

STUNNNNING Dress!

Robin said...

It turned out beautifully, Susan!! I made this one twice - once with the flat midriff (the yellow/black print one) and again in a solid dark teal color with the ruched band in the middle (haven't shown it yet, just finished it.) I actually really like both versions. The gathering foot is a good one to get, to do the gathering - it stays in place even without a cord if you use that. I actually have an extra one, but it is for a Viking/Husqvarna machine - otherwise I'd give it to you.

cidell said...

Stunning! Seriously. I told a girlfriend to have a look at your page because you look so great!

Ambitious Sewer said...

Gorgeous dress...it looks beautiful on you.

RobinH said...

That is fabulous! The colors are terrific on you, and the boots and coat really make a great ensemble. And I thought they were professional photos until I read the post! Gorgeous!

Diana said...

Great outfit, and those Colours are gorgeous on you! I have this pattern and planning to make it for my daughter who is about the same age as you.Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.I love to knowthat younger people are sewing too.

Hilary said...

All I can say is FIERCE. Absolutely fierce. The dress is amazing and, yet again, styled fabulously.

Lara said...

Soooo cute! Fabulous job and I love the print of the fabric. Great pics too!

Miss T said...

Wow, great dress! Very nice work.

Andrea said...

That dress is fabulous, and you wear it well. Beautiful job!! I love the fabric.

Lisa H. said...

Wow! Your dress is fabulous and the boots set it off.

Anonymous said...

You look GORGEOUS!

Erica Bunker said...

Girl, you are so fabulous!