KNITTERS-DELIGHT



6:36 AM

Designer Handmade Knits and Clothes



This will be a heavy photo post since I have LOTS to share. I am proud to say that I have completed TWO skirts. The first one needs some more adjustments, but is complete and does fit. The second one was an impromptu desire for a sexy long skirt made out of a clingy knit material instead of cotton. Knowing that cutting patterns is the thing that stalls my progress, I just winged it! I really like the results. I have enough material to make a nice draped top as well!

For my first skirt, I used New Look 6843. I think this was the perfect first pattern to try. I was able to cut out the pattern, fabric, and get to work right away. Following in Ashley's footsteps, I added rick rack to the bottom. Ashley makes beautiful designer handmade knits and clothes. Her latest quilt is also beautiful. Ooops – I’m off on another tangent. At any rate, check out her blog and her great photos of Vermont. As far as possible modifications for this skirt: I think I will shorten the length a bit. The fullness in the sides in addition to the length, make it a little out of my style-range. I think that I will add the coordinating fabric to the bottom as well. I will also rip out the zipper and re-sew it. One size is fairly sloppy, while I was able to get the “hang of things” on the second side.



For my next skirt, made last night on a whim, I chose to cut only two pieces instead of 3 and avoid the seam down the back. When I bought the fabric and had it cut, we discovered that the drape was going in the wrong direction for the pattern, but I stuck with it and the outcome still works. If I do make the New Look 6648 pattern, I will use change the direction of the fabric so the drape is correct. As a side note, I found this great pattern after lurking around this blog.




In addition, I have new yarn that I purchased with my gift certificate from my Secret 12 Pal. Thanks soooo much. It’s a luscious yarn by Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool. Even though I have plans to knit Nicole with this, I have 768 yards, which could also work with one of my new pattern purchases…Silken Scabbard by Jennifer Hansen. I also purchased No. 6 by Wendy Bernard, since I have yet to get her book – this will have to tie me over. Lol.




Well – that’s it so far. I plan on pausing my sewing frenzy until I’ve completed Orangina. I think Orangina will look great with my new skirt, so I hope that’ll be extra motivation. Stay tuned….

16 comments:

Teresa said...

How exciting!
The skirt turned out wonderfully. I love it. :)

Cennetta said...

Great job on the skirt. It's very flattering on you. BTW-Thanks for the drive by.
Happy Sewing!
C

Kitchen said...

I really do love that skirt! You look so amazing in that outfit! ohlala...watch out when you go out in that!!

Kitchen said...

I really do love that skirt! You look so amazing in that outfit! ohlala...watch out when you go out in that!!

Adrienne said...

Very, very cute!

Virtuous said...

I luve BOTH of your skirts!!
Great sewing work!

And you know I love some Silky Wool! :o)

Knit - R - Done said...

Lovely skirts! I think Orangina would look great no you, your arms are very fit.

Anonymous said...

Look at you & your sewing skills, too cute! OMGosh, I love that photo of the sweater & long gloves. Which pattern is that?

Hilary said...

Congrats! Both skirts look amazing. I love the colors of the first, and -- whoa -- you improvised the second one?!! I am so impressed!

Susan said...

Thanks everyone. The pattern with the gloves is called Silken Scabbard by Jennifer Hansen. The cardigan is by Wendy Bernard. Can't wait to get her new Custom Knits book!

Janet Richards said...

I love the skirts! And your knit choices are fabulous :)

Kara said...

Oh wow! Those skirts are oh so fab. And I love the knit picks. They are going to be amazing.

Robin said...

Love both skirts, especially the second one - it looks fantastic on you!! See, knit fabrics are so the way to go!! No fitting issues, nice and easy, and always flattering.

There is a skinny rib sweater made out of Silky Wool in Wendy B's new book that I really like too! Scabbard is a great choice too!

amanda said...

Wow, look at you go! The sewing looks great and I think you are right - Orangina is going to look awesome with the skirt. Good luck finishing!!

Sheila said...

You did a fab job on the skirts, and agree with Robin, Knits are the way to go. Great knit choices, expecially the sweater with the matching gloves.

Thanks for the compliment on my NL6952 blouse.

Delana said...

Love that skirt! You are one hot mamacita in it.