KNITTERS-DELIGHT



4:05 PM

Knit This! Sew That!


I am in crafting heaven! I have been noticing more and more knitters that also sew lately. Even though I am a quilter, I have never counted that as sewing, since I do not know how to make clothes. Well that's all changing. I did my little research and determined that Amy Butler has beautiful fabric and patterns. I actually have a few blogs that I have read, that have used her patterns including my best friend's girl, Ashley and our yarn expert Robin. Continually seeing Robin's beautiful FOs both knitted and sewed has really inspired me. Plus, every time I made a comment on her blog, she'd send me such motivating emails to try it myself. Well ladies and gentleman, this is the day!

Last night I went to Knit Nite at the Grove in Golden Hills, which also has sewing things as well. I picked up 2 1/2 yards of Amy Butler fabric, her Anna Tunic & Barcelona Skirt. I also found a free "5-minute skirt" pattern online. I am going to get cotton muslin tonight for the lining and some odds and ends, whip out my machine and go to town.

Have no fear - knitting is here....as well, that is. I am finished with the back of Orangina and have been working solely on this knitting project every knit group I chance upon. I even went as far as blocking Orangina, so it will be ready for ribbing once the front is complete. This is HUGE for me, but I think I might get into the responsible knitting thing....minus swatching. PuhlEEEze. I'm still human. I would love*love*love to make a pretty skirt to wear with Orangina. Keep the positive craft vibes coming my way and I'll let you know if I've been smiling pretty or tearing my hair out.

18 comments:

Delana said...

Oooooo can't wait to see your sewing skills on the blog! I really should clear off the table in my craft room and do some sewing myself :o)

Michelle B said...

OHH Robin has been influencing me too!!! Hey there's a new look pattern 6999 that's a nice easy skirt! I made the Barcelona (both versions) and love them! the zipper was a little tricky but not hard! Amy's directions are very clear! I bought several New Look Patterns last week and some fabric, plus I bought some Simplicity patterns (they are on sale at JoAnn's for $1.99 here anyway)

Shanta Hayes said...

If you don't have a serger, a good pair of pinking shears are your best friend for nice clean seams that don't ravel.

brandilion said...

is it bad that I want to jump straight to something drapey and jersey? Wanna help me make dress forms out of duct tape and garbage bags?

mle said...

Girl, if you can sew a quilt I think you'll do just fine sewing a skirt and top! Just remember the seam allowances are different. I can't wait to see how it comes out!! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.You inspire me.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you. I too have never sewn clothing although I love sewing bags. Amy Butler is a good place to start for anything though. Her instructions are fabulous and will get you through all troubles. I look forward to seeing you work through this first garment. Don't forget you need a matching bag. I recommend the Amy Butler Birdie Sling Bag.

Anonymous said...

I *love* AB's Barcelona Skirt pattern! Good luck - can't wait to see your finished items.

Mary said...

Amy Butler's pattern are well written and look nice on everyone. Goodluck! Can't wait to see it.

Virtuous said...

How exciting!! Have fun exploring and sharpening your sewing skills!

And you are right both crafts will compliment one another! :o)

Teresa said...

Excellent! So glad you see you're in on the sewing thing too. I've been trying to get myself to learn that (it's on the "To Do" list...) Can't wait to see how yours comes along :)

Robin said...

Yay!! Good luck with your new endeavor!! I'm so happy I could inspire you!

KimT said...

looking forward to seeing your sewing fo's!

amanda said...

have fun sewing . . . it's a whole new world!

Toni said...

Good luck with the sewing project!!!! I used to get really freaked out about sewing clothes until I started looking closely at the clothes I buy in stores. Not that I don't want to get better, but seeing professional crooked seams does take some of the pressure off.....

Good luck!!!!

Hilary said...

You can do it! You can do it! A skirt is a great way to practice your sewing skills, imo. Your pretty Orangina will have a pretty matching skirt in no time!

Sheila said...

Kudos!!! to entering the Sewing Realm. You will definitely enjoy it and looking forward to your FOs.

Thanks for the lovely compliment on my Tank.

Nic said...

I know what you mean. I've caught the Amy Butler bug too.