KNITTERS-DELIGHT



9:37 AM

Magic Loop, Wherefore Art Thou?


A couple weeks back, I met up with Gail at the Living Room in La Jolla to do some knitting. We ended up discussing finishing, which neither of us enjoys - and the conversation then went into sleeves on dpns and circulars. My preference is 16", but who wants to spend the money on 16" needles in every size, just for sleeves? Gail tells me about "The Magic Loop". Out of nowhere, an older woman who also has her knitting, talks about doing her cotton/bamboo blend socks using the magic loop. I need these needles!!! I proclaim...in my head. So after work yesterday, I stop by Needlecraft Cottage on Grand Avenue in PB to get some. Man - I didn't have a clue. I thought they were special needles called "Magic Loop Needles". Needle-less to say, I bought the book and a pair of 40" circulars in size 6 and went on my way. No wonder, I wasn't seeing any special Magic Loop Needles while I was shopping for yarn online. lol. No matter how long you've been knitting, there is always something to learn, and a funny blunder to be made. Thanks Gail for the helpful information ...even though I wasn't savvy enough to understand the concept...I would love some help when it's actually time to use them on Marilyn, so as not to make any new blunders.

So I've started reading Sarah Hauschka's Magical Unvention written by Bev Galeskas and think this will be my new method of choice for sleeves, once I get the technique down. Or should I say - if I ever get the technique down. After all, the foolish things can confound the wise...right???!!!!

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I have heard SO much about this, but have YET to try it. let me know how you like it....when you get to that point lol

Anonymous said...

It's the only way I knit anything in the round with a small diameter. I don't even OWN dpns in most sizes and only use them as cable needles. You will LOVE Magic Loop. I've used it for socks, sleeves, small diameter necklines, you name it.

Anonymous said...

Hey... Did you get my email about this Sunday? Let me know if you want to get together and knit. You'll love magic loop once you get a hold of it... You sound like you're on your way w/ the technique.

simplyducky said...

Since I learned this about a year ago, I haven't picked up my double points more than a couple times. It makes knitting socks wonderful because you can bring them with you anywhere and not worry about stitches falling off the needles.