KNITTERS-DELIGHT



10:06 PM

First FO of 2011 - McCalls 6078



I am happy to report that I have completed my first sewing project for 2011. This was a quick and easy top from McCall's. I recently went shopping at Joann's while in Vermont. Vogue and McCall's patterns are on sale, so I picked up a few (okay, quite a few...). This project is actually being voted on as one of PatternReview's Top 10 patterns for 2010. I'd have to say that it gets my vote!

I am focusing on sewing with a purpose (SWAP) this year and this bill. Since I am still nursing, you can tell I am even larger on top (I didn't think that was even possible! lol). This top will be perfect for work, under a dark cardigan or jacket.

Here's the details:

Pattern Description: Top A has front and back stitched pleats, front drape, lapped back and extended shoulder seams; top B has stitched front pleats and drape; top C has front drape and contrast loops. I made view B.

Pattern Sizing: I made a size medium. (There were a lot of reviews stating how large the sizes ran, but when I looked at the actual pattern pieces, they gave the finished bust measurements, which appear to be accurate. For size B, this translated into me making a medium. If I were to make view A, I would need to make a small according to the finished measurements).

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?: Yes. Very much so!

Were the instructions easy to follow?: Very easy. You can glance over them and put the instructions away.

Fabric: A knit fabric from the remnant section at Joann's Fabric.

Pattern Alterations: None

Would I sew this again?: Yes. This is a great shell to go under other items for layering. I also want to try view A, which is a nice style for going out.

Conclusion: A quick and easy project that will get a lot of use in my soon-to-be updated closet.

12 comments:

Gail said...

Simple, but gorgeous. I am really taken by cowl necklines. They flatter all body types.

velosews said...

The top worked! Congratulations. Looking forward to the 'collection'.

Lori said...

Very cute top, a great way to start 2011.

KID, MD said...

Cute top and a fun print! I always have a hard time dressing the girls when I'm nursing. It's like a girl need three wardrobes - maternity, nursing and everything else! I can see this top transitioning well once you wean though. Nice!

Sheila said...

Cute top and agree it would work well under jackets.

Victoria said...

Super cute top--love it:)

Julie said...

What a great shell! looks like it'll go with a lot of things. Great job!

toy said...

this fabric is super cute, the cowl neckline does flatter you, cute top!

Jen said...

I love the top. super cute. Great job.

HeathersSphere said...

WOWWWWWW! You look ultra stunning in your new top! It's good to see you sewing again!

Faye Lewis said...

Ok, I see that you are at it again, (sewing up fantastic designs that tempt me to buy more patterns.

Delana said...

Ok, not only have I been a horrible blogger, but I haven't been keeping up on the ones I was reading. Didn't realize how long it had been until I see that you had a baby and didn't even know you were preggers! Congrats! She's adorable :-) And cute top too.