KNITTERS-DELIGHT



11:15 AM

FO - Vogue 1027 with a Twirl



Without further ado.....Vogue 1027. I really like how this came out. While I originally planned this to be my test run, it is an actual, wearable FO. Originally, I wasn't sure about the Sicilian's choice in picking this fabric when we went to LA last month, but he really nailed it! I think it's very Tropical...(my co-worker among other "I Love Ray-J" watchers will understand this reference...don't spoil the ending, though - I have it taped to watch with my Sister tonight)....



As I mentioned in my previous post, this had a lot of firsts in sewing for me. This was my first go at pockets. It was a success. Even though a lot of people choice to omit this part of the pattern, I really love it. My hips sit a bit higher than where the pockets are, so it isn't really adding any bulk for me. I also made my first set of pleats for the bodice. Usually I pick patterns with gathers, but this was a nice change. The final, first is that this was a bias cut pattern, so I had to wait 24 hours to finish the hem, which I coverstitched on my BabyLock machine. The bias cut skirt has a lot of movement and I enjoyed throwing in a twirl as my co-worker Carol took snaps of me outside the office on break.


If I do make this one again, I'll go down one more size for the bodice portion and then elongate the bodice just a hair. I like the overall look, but for general shape preference, these tweaks would put it to the next level for me.

The only modifications I made were to fold over the waist ties in half (like many Pattern Reviewers mentioned before me) so the wrong side of the fabric won't show when folder. I also sewed the ties to the back instead of the front in order to allow some hanging on the ties. My ties were not long enough to wrap around my body twice. lol. Voila, a new FO!

35 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Very pretty! I love the fabric as well. Have fun visiting with your sister. :)

Omega said...

How pretty, you look beautiful!
Also, congratulations of finishing the grant proposal for your mom, I pray that she gets it.

Ashley said...

Really really cute! I love that twirl photo! Can you come back to VT and make me one? :)

Birgitte said...

That looks soooo good on you- and I love the twirl picture!

Clumsy Knitter said...

Fabulous! I am so impressed by your sewing skills. Everything you make looks like you've been sewing your whole life! Love the fabric--it's perfect for summer. :)

Sew Shy said...

Your dress looks really great!

Cennetta said...

I love this dress. Great colors and use of the print in the fabric.

QueenSH said...

Very very very pretty!!!! The fabric is really unique.

ekgheiy said...

Wow!! That is SO pretty! :) I too am impressed by your skills.

robin said...

Very nice!! I really have to try this one now too. I started out as your sewing inspiration, but now you've become mine!

Aminat said...

Wao, very beautiful dress, looks so so so stunning on you. I love the fabric... I will look out for this pattern definately. Enjoy your new dress

Hilary said...

Yep -- looks awesome on you! I adore the pockets and the twirliness!

Christie said...

Great fabric! And those shoes are too cute! Perfect match!

Unknown said...

You did a fantastic job on this! I'm very impressed. And your progress is remarkable. I'm completely jealous.

gwensews said...

This dress is truly beautiful, and is very becomming on you. Very nice job. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

You definitely need to keep twirling! Great fabric for the dress.

Julia said...

OO la la!! Very nice!!

Virtuous said...

Just pretty!!! You and the dress look great gurl! Nice sew job! ;o)

Erica Bunker said...

Cute dress! Love the fabric!

Sheila said...

Your dress is gorgeous and pretty fabric.

Cas... said...

Lovely! I would love to have one like it myself.

Note to self: GET ON BOARD! LOL!

Angela said...

Great dress! I love the twirl factor!

Jillian said...

It looks awesome! I love the fabric! And I'm so jealous of your coverstitch machine!

Teresa said...

Wow - just, wow!

Everything about this dress is so beautiful. Those colours are fantastic! I also particularly love the "action shot" photo at the top of the post. You've done excellently!

Jackie said...

Very pretty dress!

Adrienne said...

You look STUNNING!!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

love this dress on you!

Andrea said...

I agree with Adrienne. You definitely look stunning. The sicilian did a great job picking out that fabric. You absolutely look lovely.

I'm also so glad you were able to finish the grant for your mom.

Fox :::.... said...

That dress is splendid on you.

mle said...

That is so pretty!

Lynneb said...

It's amazing! Love, love, love it!

2BSewing: said...

Beautiful dress! You look divine. :)

The Knitwit Hues said...

Stunning! ... the dress AND you! :D

The Knitwit Hues said...

Stunning! ... the dress AND you! :D

Mariela Alethia said...

Very pretty!