KNITTERS-DELIGHT



7:09 AM

FO - Vogue 8379



Here is my finished wrap dress I mentioned in yesterday's post. This was my first Vogue pattern. While I felt like I was a little confused at times, it was actually a pretty easy pattern. Instead of soft pleats at the top, I opted for gathers. My boss and co-worker both commented on how that was one of the features that was really flattering to my frame! Nice. Of course I think I'm still a bit unsure of how to do soft pleats, but only a month back I was unsure of gathers. Things change and people grow.



I started this at around 6 or 7 in the evening after work and finished up a little before 1 in the morning. With tv watching, company, dinner, and dishes - I'd call this a fast project! I would have loved to make up another one, but I'm trying to use more of my unused patterns. I also have another Vogue dress pattern (1027) that I'm looking forward to trying. It has the wrap dress shape, a longer length skirt, and pockets!

Well, this is my last day of work before leaving for Vermont for the Christmas holiday tomorrow. I'll be gone for a little over a week. I'll be bringing my Mother's sewing machine (my original machine before getting her Bernina as a gift) along with my serger. The family all wants clothes made during the holidays! I'm game.

Pattern Review:

Pattern Description:
Wrap front dress has soft pleats, side tie, and sleeve.

Pattern Sizing: 16-22. I cut a straight 16.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The wrap shape is really flattering on a variety of body shapes, from thick to thin, small breasts to large.

Fabric Used: 3 yards of a Poly/Lycra Jersey Knit fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics. My first order from this store and I am not disappointed. Great quality and suits the style of the dress, just right!

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Instead of soft pleats, I made gathers at the bust. The facing came out a bit wonky, so I made an additional piece using the left-over fabric to cover the neckline better. I also lengthened the skirt portion after reading numerous reviews about the slightly "too-short" length.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. I would take another stab at this pattern for sure! It came highly recommended for good reason.

Conclusion: This was my first Vogue pattern. I feel good about the outcome and am packing it for my trip back east for the holidays.

19 comments:

Manecoarse said...

Your dress looks great. I love the fabric. I see why you received lots of compliments. You deserve it.

Hanna Otero said...

I have been reading your site for some time and enjoy it very much. I just have to say that your beautiful new clothes have inspired me very much. If I don't get a sewing machine from Santa, I may just have to splurge on one in the new year. You look beautiful in your new dress!

cidell said...

Gorgeous and soooo flattering on you. Love it.

amanda said...

amazing dress - you look great! I am so impressed with your sewing skills :)

Sheila said...

That is a beautiful dress.

Amanda S. said...

This is so pretty on you! I love the length with the high boots. Super cute.

Hilary said...

Yet another amazing FO! The execution is fantastic, plus you have such a knack for picking out fabrics that not only go well with the pattern, but look great on you!

Nik said...

you've done a beautiful job.

Cas... said...

Very cute dress. You're doing a wonderful job with your sewing.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Great job! This dress is gorgeous on you.

jillian said...

It does look gorgeous on you!

Cennetta said...

Looking good, Girl!

Sarah said...

You are so talented! That dress looks great on you, and what great fabric! I can only imagine the size of your stash :)

Opal said...

Such a cute dress.. You did a great job.....

Virtuous said...

You're lookin' fabulous!! And wonderful job on the dress! Isn't really nice to know what works well on our bodies!

Andrea said...

You did a beautiful job on that dress. Girl you have come a long way, you should be very proud. GORGEOUS!!!

Adrienne said...

I LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

I really love this on you!! I have been wanting to try this pattern for awhile but was nervous about the neckline. Yours looks modest enough for me to wear to work.

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Lisette M said...

This looks fantastic on you!!