KNITTERS-DELIGHT



9:54 AM

Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire



1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I moved from Vermont to San Diego two years ago and have now been enjoying soy silk, cotton blends, and even bamboo. The only yarns I don’t really like are synthetic yarns, svale by Dale of Norway, or crazy wild yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I’m horrible with storing my needles and hooks. I have them throughout the house in my yarn bins. I think that is something I need to improve on, for sure.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I started knitting about 12 years ago. I had it in my mind that I wanted to crochet black lace pants and my neighbor Joan attempted to teach me. Finally she came out saying “you are not getting this – let’s try knitting instead.” I’ve been doing it ever sense. I would consider myself to be intermediate. There’s some advanced techniques that I can do and some beginner things that I can’t.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes

5. What's your favorite scent?
It varies. Perfume-wise: Anais Anais, Burberry, Fifth Avenue, Bvlgari, General-scent: Lavender, Lil lies, Green Grass, Jasmine

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love Chewy Runts, Laffy Taffy, Skittles, and Airheads.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I’m also a quilter. It’s not so much of a hobby at times it seems. I prefer to knit. I’ve made four quilts now – one king size, two baby size, and one table runner. They all came out very well, but it’s still a second from my passion for knitting. I don’t spin but admire anyone who can.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have an eclectic taste in music. I love Dave Matthews, Sia, Jamie Foxx, Audioslave, Avant, Amel Larrieux, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, Sarah McLachlan, and Dido. Really it goes from R & B to Rock and Alternative. I am able to play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My color choices vary. I like rich, deep colors like burgundy and rust. I also like sage greens. Really there’s nothing that I can’t stand in colors. I love it all.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have two cats - Hannah (13 yr) & Scofield (2 yr) and a 75 gallon salt-water fish tank that’s begging to be cleaned. I will have a new roommie July 1st and yes – she’s a knitter!!!! I’m soooo pumped.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I haven’t had much use for scarves or hats, but every so often when I’m cold I crave to wear fingerless gloves. I’m not a poncho person, but like shrugs and mini-cardis.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like to knit sweaters with minimal finishing. I’m trying to get into socks more now as well.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Orangina and the Cable Aran Vest

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I think handmade gifts are great!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I only use circular needles. Bamboo, aluminum, and plastic are all fine.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a yarn winder and a swift. Love ‘em and use them often!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
My oldest UFO is about 1 year old – my Marilyn NSSC that I had to frog and restart again. I was hoping to have it finished by the end of March `07, but dumped it in a bin and have basically forgotten about it ever since.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I really like Thanksgiving. Great food, a relaxed atmosphere, and conversation focused.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect knitting and quilting books. I can’t seem to get enough.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a current subscription to Interweave Knits. I am trying the magic loop thing, so any circular needles that are 40” works for me. I have been thinking about getting: Inspired to Knit by Michele Rose Orne, “I Hate to Finish Sweaters” Guide to Finishing Sweaters by Janet Szabo, and Make it Modern by Classic Elite Yarns. I’m also interested in trying the Sweater Stone, since I’ve been dealing with some of my knits pilling these days.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I want to learn to knit two socks at a time. I just recently bought a book on it, but haven’t tried it yet. I have the book but haven’t tried it yet. I also want to be able to finish better. I love top down projects, but there’s some lovely patterns that I have to seam together and I usually steer clear since I just haven’t got that down to a science after all this time. I would like to learn how to incorporate crocheting into knitting more. After making Ms. Marigold and finishing the sleeves with a crochet hook – I’m feeling more determined to try.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I have knit one pair of socks so far. I’d like to knit Baudelaire from Knitty.com. I’m a size 9.

23. When is your birthday?
On December 7th I’ll be 34. Even the baby of the family grows up!

24. Ravelry ID:
KnittersDelight

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Hey Susan - I think you left out one question.....it may be the most important one!

Robin said...

Shannon's right - you definitely want your pal to be able to keep up on your happenings on Rav!

Love your taste in music BTW, as I like all the same stuff.

Nic said...

Welcome to SP! You live in my old college town and just visited my current hometown-- next time we'll have to get together and knit. /your SP12 hostess, Nic