KNITTERS-DELIGHT



1:52 PM

San Diego Fires


I have been living in San Diego for almost a year and a half now. This is the first time I've experienced the Santa Ana Winds and the wildfires. So far there's been 500,000 people evacuated from San Diego county alone, including our dear knitting friend Gail. Thankfully her house was untouched and she'll be returning home. It's such a strange feeling. My ex's boss and family were displaced and went to my home with their family for a few days. Thankfully Tully and I are still friends, so it was no issue with us bunking together while my apartment was being used as a mini-shelter. Even though there's less than 5% containment, many people have been allowed back home. Unlike other crises, the people of San Diego have really stuck together. The news reported non-stop through all of this and kept everyone up to date on what supplies were needed. They even had to request people to stop bringing supplies, because they had too much. What a blessing to stand together despite such drastic times.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you also are okay, and those that you know. I'm hopeful that now that the winds have calmed down a bit that the firefighters will be able to control things better.

Lara said...

I am glad to know you are ok too. How nice of you to give up your apartment! I went to college in San Diego so even though I am not there it still hits close to home. I loved living there and loved the people. I hope things get under control quickly. Stay safe!

Cas... said...

Great news! I am glad to hear that people are helping each other. It makes it so much better.

Virtuous said...

AAh so glad you are doing well and was able to help out!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Glad that you are safe!

Anonymous said...

It is good to read that you are doing okay. I was wondering yesterday about how you were doing and if you had to evacuate.

K. said...

I'm really glad that you're well and safe. I hope it get's better soon, what I've seen on the news is pretty scary!

Anonymous said...

Too many supplies?? That's awesome. I'm glad you're safe.

Debora said...

I'm glad to hear you are ok. My brother is a Marine stationed in San Diego and he had to leave base a few days ago. His vehicle is not running right now and he was unable to move it. He doesn't know if he will have a vehicle when this is all over! All I can tell you is the same thing I told him Take care of yourself, because things can be replaced. Your life can not!!!!!

amanda said...

Glad you are safe. Hang in there!

Unknown said...

So glad you're safe! Wonderful that you could help others with temporary shelter too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us know you are OK. How nice of you to share your apartment.

AllyB said...

So glad to hear you're fine out there. I didn't realize you were so close to the fires. Scary! It's great that you could share your space with someone else. I can't imagine so many people needing a place to go. I'm sending good thoughts for continued safety your way. Have a great weekend.

Marty said...

My prayers are with you and your friends. I could learn a lesson from you on it being better to remain friends than angry ex's. Stay safe.

Sheila said...

Glad you are doing ok. Hang in there!